IRCB and LMC CERPAGE join the WANIDA research network
The Clinical Research Institute of Benin – IRCB and the Centre for Study and Research on Pathologies Associated with Pregnancy and Childhood – CERPAGE join the West African Network of Centers of Excellence on Infectious Diseases WANIDA
In order to develop West African partnerships in research excellence on infectious diseases, the WANIDA network integrates two new members: the IRCB and the LMC CERPAGE. These new collaborations are part of the continuity and development of the network at the regional level and strengthen the multidisciplinary research and innovation capacities of the members to meet the challenges of public health in West Africa.
The multidisciplinarity of the teams allows them to intervene in several fields: Covid-19, HIV, Malaria, Tuberculosis, Ebola, Mycobacterial infections, Neglected Tropical Diseases, Foodborne pathogens as well as studies on non-malarial febrile diseases.
FOCUS on Joint Laboratory LMC CERPAGE Center for Study and Research on Pathologies Associated with Pregnancy and Childhood
Created in 2019, CERPAGE is a Joint Laboratory, supported by the Faculty of Sciences and Health of the University of Abomey Calavi (FSS/UAC), by the Clinical Research Institute of Benin (IRCB), by the Center for Integrated Malaria Control (CLIP), and the UMR MERIT of the Institute of Research for Development (IRD).
The objectives of this research and training partnership are to strengthen their expertise in the study of malaria in pregnant women and children, but also to develop work on infections and new themes on non-communicable diseases of the epidemiological transition, in order to improve knowledge for the management and prevention of diseases in mothers and young children within the framework of public health policy and strategies in intertropical areas.
FOCUS on the Clinical Research Institute of Benin, IRCB
Founded in 2016 by IRD, Inserm and the Ministry of Research and Higher Education and the Ministry of Health of Benin, the IRCB is a platform dedicated to clinical research, in priority health topics such as malaria, tropical and emerging diseases as well as non-communicable diseases. The IRCB wishes to contribute to the establishment of a medical research structure of excellence in French-speaking Africa and to develop partnerships for multicenter trials in order to make its resources and expertise available to external researchers and institutions.
The Institute is the site of the first vaccine trials against gestational malaria. Several large-scale programs are underway, such as the Deworm 3 project (multicenter cluster trials on helminthic infections – https://depts.washington.edu/deworm3/), or a therapeutic trial financed by EDCTP on the treatment of malaria with artemisinin-based triple therapy – ASAAP project – https://asaap-malaria.org/).
The WANIDA network now has 9 members in 5 English and French speaking countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Guinea, Burkina Faso, and Benin.
- West Africa Centre for Cell Biology of Infectious Pathogens (WACCBIP), University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana (coordinating center)
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), Redeemer’s University, Ede, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Mycotoxin and Food Safety (ACEMFS), Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Neglected Tropical Diseases and Forensic Biology (ACENTDFB), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Population Health and Policy (ACEPHAP), Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria
- African Center of Excellence in Biotechnological Innovations for the Elimination of Vector-borne Diseases (CEA-ITECH-MTV), Nazi Boni University, Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
- African Center of Excellence – Prevention and Control of Communicable Diseases (CEA-PCMT), Gamal Abdel Nasser University of Conakry, Guinea
- Benin Clinical Research Institute (IRCB), Abomey Calavi, Benin
- The Joint Laboratory LMC CERPAGE Center for Study and Research on Pathologies Associated with Pregnancy and Childhood, Abomey Calavi, Benin
- WANIDA Coordinator : Olivia Koupaki email@example.com
- IRCB : Achille Massougbodji firstname.lastname@example.org