2nd call for proposals from Digital Science and Technology Network research teams
Call status : Closed
DSTN brings together ACEs working in digital science and technology (computer science and mathematics) to address some of the challenges posed by the digital transformation of science, the economy and society as a whole.
This networked collaboration between ACEs aims to improve their efficiency and attractiveness by sharing expertise, training, data and IT resources. Five priority scientific areas have been identified:
● Big data and trusted artificial intelligence,
● IoT systems and software-defined networking in poorly connected areas,
● High-performance computing,
● Data science.
The network aims to support collaborations between African centers of excellence. Its support consists of providing and co-financing PhD scholarships, mobility grants, scientific events and expertise in these priority scientific areas with the following objectives:
● Strengthen research capacities and research collaboration between ACEs and with international research institutions, through thematic workshops, joint research teams and PhD co-supervision.
● Strengthen higher education training capacities through joint training programs, exchanges of teachers, students and internships.
● Strengthen innovation capacities and links with the non-academic sector by involving the relevant socio-economic players in training and research activities.
● Ensure the network's sustainability by soliciting competitive funds and private financing.
To promote these scientific collaborations within the network and worldwide, and to support high-quality research, the DSTN is launching a call for proposals for research teams.
Program objectives and priorities :
A DSTN research team is a joint research and development (R&D) project created for 2 or 4 years (2020-2014) between at least two AECs in the network, possibly involving external partners. The partners jointly define a scientific objective with a clear added value for each of them, a research plan and a mobility exchange program.
There can be two types of project:
● 4-year research projects aimed at tackling a scientific problem with a long-term applicative impact, which will strengthen research capabilities and international collaborations, producing high-quality publications. These projects must involve at least one international academic partner.
● 2-year R&D projects around the development of an application with a short-term applicative impact that will strengthen innovation capabilities and links with the non-academic sector, producing high-quality codes and innovative products. These projects must involve at least one partner from the economic or societal sectors.
Funding can be provided in the form of :
- Support for mobility: missions between partners will be financed up to 10,000 euros per year.
- Internships: up to 6 internships will be funded each year, each lasting 3-4 months.
- PhD position (for research projects only): up to 6 PhD positions will be funded.
Submission of a new DSTN research team:
NEW: submission of an expression of interest is required before the end of the initial deadline, January 15, 2021, using the following form: https: //tinyurl.com/DSTN2ndCall.
The final proposal must be submitted to https://tinyurl.com/DSTN2ndCall-Submission by January 22, 2021. The submission form provided and all required attachments must be uploaded in a single compressed file.
Evaluation and reporting :
Each proposal will be evaluated by scientific experts external to the network.
Evaluation criteria for selection are provided in an attached document.
At the end of the project, each DSTN research team will produce a short report.